Florin Iucha wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 09:00:06AM -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:
> > Are you sure it won't work?  I know the Richochet usb wireless device uses
> > the standard USB modem interface.  I wonder if maybe the intel modem does
> > also...
>
> Do you remember the i740 "AGP" graphics boards that worked only on Intel
> motherboards? AGP, USB are Intel "standards".

I bet the Intel modem conforms (close enough) to USB specs, but it still may
need a special driver for Linux.  The USB spec says how USB devices behave
and how data is transfered on the USB bus, but it does not necessarily say
what the data means.  Its a physical and data link layer spec, but individual
devices use a layer above that that may be device specific.

Some modems also follow the ACM spec that describes the next layer protocol
for modems.  For any modem that conforms you can use the Linux ACM driver.
But other modems, TAs, serial devices, and so on use proprietary protocols, so
you need a driver specifically for each of those devices.

The first place to look is at www.linux-usb.org under the supported devices
link.
I did not see the Intel Pro 3200 listed, so it is probably not supported.  Next
you could check the linux-usb-users mailing list archive, or test it out
yourself.

But the Cisco 678 (if it is anything like my 675) should work without problem.
It
talks to your machine over an Ethernet connection using TCP/IP/Ethernet
protocols,
all supported by Linux (provided your Ethernet card has a Linux driver--most
do).

-- Al