"Spencer J Sinn" <ssinn at qwest.net> writes:

> I use qwests DSL service and have not had any problems running several
> machines on the line.

Ditto.

> If you are going to use an internal network, get the external modem
> (well, its really a router, but qwest calls it a modem. It is the
> Cisco 675 or the 678 IIRC). You will get assigned a dynamic IP, but
> it only changes if you turn off the router (or qwest flushes the DSL
> pools).

My experience before I got the static IPs in (so back in 1999) was
that the IP changed at least once a day.

> It is very easy to use NAT to run services out. The only downside is
> there is no DNS for it; a person wanting to access the webpage or
> mailserver would have to use the IP address.  Other DSL providers
> offer static IP addresses, but I don't know anything about
> those. Someone else on the list will.

USWest leases me "8" static IPs, but they get $15/month for it (ick).

There are dynamic DNS providers who let you have DNS names pointing to
dynamic IPs.  I haven't needed it, so I don't know how they do it (do
you run a local utility that keeps them updated on the current IP, I'd
guess?)  And of course there's the question of whether the agreement
allows you to run services.  Mine does, but I'm 768K DSL under their
SOHO division, not personal.
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/