Heather Wagamon wrote:

> Actually, I'm not having a server "problem" exactly.  I went to school with
> Jamie and just wanted to get a hold of him so I could get his advice on
> something since he's helped me out a lot in the past.  I just graduated
> recently from college and am now working as a linux/unix system admin.  I
> don't have much experience with Linux or Unix and have been learning a lot
> of it as problems arise.  So... I've been thinking that I want to set up a
> personal Linux web/email server at home so I can learn linux easier and
> become more comfortable with it.  I was wondering... what's the best
> linux/unix to use?  I was thinking "Red Hat" since that's what we use here.
>  I have a friend who also wants to set up a server.  We were thinking we
> could get a DSL line and a hub and connect them both up through the same
> DSL line.  One of the things I'm not sure about, though, are the IP
> addresses.  Since we'll have 2 servers on one DSL line, we'll need to buy
> IP Addresses?  Are they expensive?  We don't want to spend a whole lot
> right now just to learn networking.  I guess the point of it all is... does
> anyone have any advice for a Linux Newbie who wants to set up a web/email
> server in her living room?
>
> :-)
> Thanks!!
>
> Heather

I use qwests DSL service and have not had any problems running several
machines on the line.
If you are going to use an internal network, get the external modem
(well, its really a
router, but qwest calls it a modem. It is the Cisco 675 or the 678
IIRC). You will get assigned
a dynamic IP, but it only changes if you turn off the router (or qwest
flushes the DSL pools). It
is very easy to use NAT to run services out. The only downside is there
is no DNS for it; a person
wanting to access the webpage or mailserver would have to use the IP
address.
Other DSL providers offer static IP addresses, but I don't know anything
about those. Someone else on
the list will.