----- Original Message -----
From: "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b at dd-b.net>
To: <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 4:37 PM
Subject: Re: Linux Newbie (WAS RE: [TCLUG] [OT] - Jamie Ostrowski)

> "Spencer J Sinn" <ssinn at qwest.net> writes:
>
> > I use qwests DSL service and have not had any problems running several
> > machines on the line.
>
> Ditto.
>
> > If you are going to use an internal network, get the external modem
> > (well, its really a router, but qwest calls it a modem. It is the
> > Cisco 675 or the 678 IIRC). You will get assigned a dynamic IP, but
> > it only changes if you turn off the router (or qwest flushes the DSL
> > pools).
>
> My experience before I got the static IPs in (so back in 1999) was
> that the IP changed at least once a day.

I switched to static IPs almost a year ago, but even back when I had the
dynamic IP I don't think it changed for about nine months. The DHCP lease
time was fairly short (4 hours I think), but my PC was occasionally down for
a day or so without getting a different IP. Given that experience, I
probably should have stayed dynamic but I was planning to host a biz site.
Someday I'll probably go back to dynamic to save $ and use a dyanmic DNS
service like you suggest below. And I think your "guess" is correct; I
recall needing to install an updater agent on your PC.

http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/