Hey, the type of work is the choice you make when you go into the field.
One can not legitimately complain about having to "control" the kids when it
is and always has been a part of the job.  That is not a rational argument
for a teacher to make when justifying a pay schedule, as it is part of the
job.   The work is hard, fine.  So is loading huge bags of rock salt onto a
railroad car, or sorting potatos in an Osseo plant.  A teacher does that
work either because (s)he wants to or (s)he can.  Supply and Demand
economics will dictate what the work is worth to society, and to put in so
few hours for the money listed below seems to appear a premium considering
what kids are getting out of school these days IMHO.  We are not graduating
the quality of students that we used to and yet we are paying MUCH more for
it.  In most industries, the product [and supply of] will dictate the demand
and thus the pay scale, but when public money is concerned, these rules
don't apply in the normal way and things often get out of proportion before
a problem is noticed.  Well, the education problem is beginning to get
noticed.

When we start exporting our companies to other countries because they have
better educated minds and lower taxes, you will see the affect that our lack
of educational responsibility has cost us.

Having said all that -- this is not the appropriate forum for this debate
and it should be taken off list.  Might I suggest the newsgroup mn.politics,
or these days mn.general could be abused as well.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.net