On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Scott Dier wrote:

> * Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> [010621 09:07]:
> > Look in the supermarket for parents who can barely control their own kid.
>
> I swear, some parents think school is a replacement of actually
> parenting their kid(s).

This is bad as you say.  What's just as bad is the do-good social
"science" types in the education who think they know more about kids than
parents from their undergrad child development classes.

<META RANT>
Bad / lazy / irresponsible parents cause a lot of trouble in the
system.  Teachers who are allowed to teach without satisfying the
pre-req. of successfully raising their own child are another
problem.  Administrators suffer from the same bouts of idiocy as managers
everywhere.  The marvel of democracy ensures that any ill-qualified nimrod
can be elected to a school board, and the State and Federal Gov't's all
get to pee in the pool, too.  The Unionization of teachers is way out of
hand, esp. in MN.
</META RANT>

No matter what the pay scale, there are bound to be people who are worth
more than anything you could ever pay them, and deadwood, too.  Education
isn't an inoculation against stupidity.  Do the best you can, avoid idiots
whenever possible, and pay close attention to who your children are
listenting / talking to -- whether it's in the school-yard, or the
classroom.

Now that should take care of education.  Shall I sum up
politics?  <cheshire grin>

 --
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous