Florin Iucha wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 06:54:20AM -0500, Jack Ungerleider wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 June 2001 21:23, you wrote:
> > > I'm sorry ahead of time but sometimes I just can't help myself. When I hear
> > > someone talking about how underfunded the education system is I just can't
> > > help it.
> > >

> > > <WARNING BIG HONKIN RANT>
> > >
> > > If I can beleive what I hear on the radio Minnesota will spend between 7
> > > and 10 Billion (yeah that's a B) dollars on public education in the next
> > <snipped>
> > >
> > > The average teacher makes $35K a year to start and after ten years can make
> > > $70K a year, they have a 1200 hour work year.  ( I bet you work over 2000
> > > hours in a year.)
> > >
> > > I wish I could be so underpaid.
> > >

> > > </END OF BIG HONKIN RANT>
> > >
> > > Sorry, sorry, sorry.
> > >

> > > Spencer J Sinn wrote:
> >
> > <COUNTER BIG HONKIN RANT Warning=Its got lots of numbers!>
> >
> [graciously snipped]
> >
> > </COUNTER BIG HONKIN RANT>
>
> There is a saying in Latin (sorry I couldn't remember it, my high-school Latin
> kinda rusted) that translates (roughly to):
>         "The one who Gods hate, they made him a teacher"
>
> Have you had any teaching experience? I have taught some computer operating/
> word processing/excel number-munging to _school teachers_ for two weeks and
> believe me, it was exhausting.
>
> My wife taught math for a couple of weeks to childrens in grades 5-8.
>
> Did you _ever_ had to control 20 kids? To silence them? To persuade them to
> do _anything_? The attention span of a 6 year old is under 1 minute :)
>
> Look in the supermarket for parents who can barely control their own kid.
>
> When you say that teachers are overpaid you don't know what are you talking
> about.
>
> It takes special (wo)man to be a teacher. I know I couldn't.
>
> [This message largely ignores the possibility to catch a bullet during the
> work hours.]
>
> It's very easy to put dollar figures over the heads of a bunch of people:
> we give $X for education, $Y for health, $Z for justice.
>
> It gets harder when you look at your slice: and your doctor says - sorry,
> you are sick but you medical insurance covers a 10 minute visit and this
> tylenol; and your local school says - sorry, for the budget we have we will
> put your kids together with another 40 and watch them not to kick themselves
> too hard.
>
> It's very tempting to judge someone else's shoes without trying them on.
>
> </rant>
>
> florin
>
> DISCLAIMER: I DON'T HAVE KIDS (YET) AND I CAN AFFORD DECENT MEDICAL INSURANCE.
>
> --

  Here is a new shoe to try on, Nurse, LPN, responsable for the lives of some 80
folks any one shift.
No insurance AT ALL....
NO 401k , no nothing....
  I figure if I don't get sick and miss work I might make $25k this year.
I work most holidays ( we don't close, operate 24/7/365)
And IF those bastards in the state congress don't get their shit together I might
not even
get paid next month.
Sorry, my two cents worth...
RS