Phil Mendelsohn wrote:

> <co-rant> I understand and respect your sentiment.  Frankly, though, I
> consider it one of the *stronger* points of Linux that it doesn't have
> pre-packaged, marketing based, commercialized games targeting the very
> young.
>
> If there were more children's software out there that was worth a twid, I
> might wish for it, but most of it's pap, so I'd gladly trade the ease of
> developing our own -- it's not too hard to entertain the little ones, and
> even better, teach them to invent their own games (never too young for
> CodeWar!) and learn to program, like when I was a boy!  Oh, wait, now
> maybe I've gone too far.  But not by much, really.
> </co-rant>
>
> --
> "To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous

You're right, of course; the ability to develop games is one of the
strong points.
Upon further reflection, a friend and I were laughably coding a
Wizardry-clone for
the Apple II in junior high school.
http://www.linuxforkids.org has gotten a lot better than the last time I
visited (over
a year ago) but I would still like to see more than tetris clones. I am
sure our
underpaid education system would like to save money with something like
Linux and OSS
so they can spend their money on important things (like integration
races ;) )
I guess I will just have to get more active...
What language do they use to code games with nowadays? My C is a little
rusty, but
I am pretty sure Apple BASIC won't cut it :)