On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Spencer J Sinn wrote:

> <rant>
> IMHO, I think one of the weaker point os Llinux is not its viability as
> a desktop ala MS Office, but its lack of childrens games. My 4 year old
> daughter would be running Linux right now if there were more pre-school
> age games for the system.
> I realize that, product placement and marketing being what they are, my
> daughter will probably always pick Beauty and the Beast over Tux but in
> the long run, she will learn a lot more using Linux. If I knew anything
> about game developement, I am sure I would try to write a game or two...
> </rant>

<co-rant> I understand and respect your sentiment.  Frankly, though, I
consider it one of the *stronger* points of Linux that it doesn't have
pre-packaged, marketing based, commercialized games targeting the very
young.

If there were more children's software out there that was worth a twid, I
might wish for it, but most of it's pap, so I'd gladly trade the ease of
developing our own -- it's not too hard to entertain the little ones, and
even better, teach them to invent their own games (never too young for
CodeWar!) and learn to program, like when I was a boy!  Oh, wait, now
maybe I've gone too far.  But not by much, really.
</co-rant>

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous