On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:17:25 -0500
"Troy.A Johnson" <Troy.A.Johnson at state.mn.us> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I will be receiving a Performa 475 in a month or so and I have a
> couple questions:

> Where would one find a full 68040? How much can they be gotten for?

You can get one on eBay for between $8 and $15 or so.. but you might just
want to contact Olde Mac Milt (he's a regular eBay seller) and ask his
best price for a LUG group member.. he's usually quite fair. I paid $12
including shipping for mine, from an auction. By the way, just buy the
25MHz part, don't spend the extra $$ for the 33MHz - as far as any of us
can tell, they are the same. Just make sure that if you do the
overclocking bit, you add a heatsink to the CPU. A 68040 at 33MHz with a
486 heatsink runs cooler than a 68040 at 25MHz bare. I attached mine with
a thin smear of JB Weld.

> Where could you find one of the 8390 or Apple NICs? How much?

Once again eBay, but I know that Junkyard Jeff
(http://www.users.qwest.net/~jgarbacz/) has a number of Apple & Asante
LC-PDS NICs for cheap... if you decide to buy one, let me know, I'll take
one too and we can split the shipping. Jeff always has some cool stuff,
and his prices are fair.

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-