On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 12:39:26PM -0500, Mark Theiste wrote:
> OK, first question first.  Because I think anyone using Linux for anything
> more than running a web browser can make use of Kylix.  Kylix is a general
> purpose programming tool that anyone can become productive with in literally
> a few minutes.  In other words, you can write any kind of compiled
> executable you want, and do it faster than you could ever before.

Somehow I suspect that you'll get a better response from this group if
you try not to sound like a marketing flyer.

And I'll have to call bullshit on this statement.  Like you, I got hooked
on Delphi 1.0 real fast and ultimately spent about 2 years programming
professionally in Delphi 3 and 4, plus a little C++ Builder.  I agree that
there's nothing like it for GUI programming.

However, are you really claiming that a nice draggy-droppy GUI designer
would make writing a UIless daemon faster?  Granted, Kylix may now include
a solid library of nonvisual classes which already have large parts of the
server implemented, but that's the class library helping you out, not Kylix
per se, and I'm sure there are similarly handy class libraries for C++ and
even classless libraries for old-style C.  (I couldn't name any, though,
because I'm doing everything in perl these days.  I'm just talking about
C/C++ because you specified "compiled executable" and I don't want to
start a debate about whether perl is compiled or interpreted.)

There's also the language barrier.  A C guru who hasn't looked at
Pascal since freshman CompSci isn't going to be able to kick out code in
Kylix nearly as fast as he could with vi and gcc without spending a few
months (years?) becoming an Object Pascal guru first.  So much for
"faster than ever before"...

> I suggest
> that you download it, give it a try, and see for yourself that Kylix is
> revolutionary and there is nothing else like it for writing Linux software.

Sure.  Is there anywhere I can get it without having to put my personal
information into Yet Another Corporate Database?

> Now, why do I care so much?  Have you ever believed 100% in something that
> other people don't seem to have ever heard about, or if they have heard
> about it they have received incomplete or false information?  Ever feel like
> if people would JUST GIVE IT A TRY they would understand?  Ever used Linux?

Yup.  But I don't run up to people on the street, grab them by the
collar, and start preaching Linux at them.

--
With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox