Everyone,

I just returned from the Borland Developer Conference in Los Angeles.  This
year's conference was excellent, as always, and at the conference Borland
announced the immediate availability of Kylix Open Edition
(http://www.borland.com/about/press/2001/kylix_open.html) which you can
download right now from (http://www.borland.com/downloads/).  There are a
lot of other downloads available from there, as well.

We showed Kylix just after its release in April at the Twin Cities Linux
Solutions Conference.  Many of you may have seen us there at the Borland
booth.  We are also planning a demonstration of Kylix to the LUG, so there
will be an announcement made about the date shortly.

Why Kylix?  Why do I care?

OK, first question first.  Because I think anyone using Linux for anything
more than running a web browser can make use of Kylix.  Kylix is a general
purpose programming tool that anyone can become productive with in literally
a few minutes.  In other words, you can write any kind of compiled
executable you want, and do it faster than you could ever before.  A
beginning programmer can use the component based, graphical IDE to make a
simple graphical user interface to manage their CD collection in minutes,
but at the same time, an experienced developer can create an email server or
a low-level Linux system program with the same kind of productivity and
speed benefits.  I could go on for a long time about what you can do with
Kylix better and faster than other software development tools, but I suggest
that you download it, give it a try, and see for yourself that Kylix is
revolutionary and there is nothing else like it for writing Linux software.

Now, why do I care so much?  Have you ever believed 100% in something that
other people don't seem to have ever heard about, or if they have heard
about it they have received incomplete or false information?  Ever feel like
if people would JUST GIVE IT A TRY they would understand?  Ever used Linux?
:) I would like you to know about Kylix and to experience the programming
power that Kylix delivers to make your life better and more fun, the same
power that I have been helping to unleash since 1994 when I fired up a beta
version of Delphi 1.0.  I knew from that day that I was working with the
best software development tool that had been created and I still feel that
way when I fire up Delphi 6 and Kylix.  I care because of an uncontrollable
and strange love of good technology that I know every Linux user
understands.

I hope you download Kylix and give it a try.  We will see you hopefully in
August or soon thereafter at the TCLUG meeting to demonstrate Kylix!

-Mark

P.S.  For those who are interested, we are co-hosting a day-long event with
Borland to introduce Borland Delphi 6 and Kylix (free! with lunch!) this
August 7th at the Thunderbird Hotel.  For more information, and to sign up,
visit http://www.borland.com/events/seminars/delphi6_kylix/.  If you can't
make it during the day, you may be interested in attending the Twin Cities
PC User group Delphi 6 and Kylix rollout event in the evening which starts
at 7, also at the Thunderbird Hotel.  If you have any questions or comments,
email the list or if it is something you don't think everyone would like to
know about, feel free to email me directly.

Mark Theiste
markt at logicworksinc.com
Logicworks, Inc.
http://www.logicworksinc.com