Ok, I'm moving into my new place soon, so I preordered a phone line.  The
number that was there didn't qualify for DSL but was within range.  They
said that it was probably because there was old line in the neighborhood and
they'd send someone out to replace some of the wire to try to get me to
qualify.  So my new line is hooked up, I call the DSL office, and now I'm
magically 18,700 feet from the CO, several thousand feet farther than
before.  They said the guy probably put me on another circuit or something,
and they won't change it for me.  And then the guy said I was supposed to be
charged for the guy replacing the line so he tried to charge me for it, even
when the rep that set up my line in the first place said it was no charge.

My brother ordered service at his apartment, and the guy on the phone said
he could get DSL for like $20, router for free, and all of the services like
call waiting for free too.  He gets his first bill, and it's like $190.  So
he called back, and the guy signed him up for some expensive DSL service,
all of those services were not free, they sent out the wrong modem (CAP, not
DMT), he never got the modem, they sent a new one which was broken.  Then he
cancelled it all because he was sick of it, and they are still trying to
charge him for a modem he didn't get, and a modem that was broken when he
received it.  And he complained about the guy that set up his service and
said all the stuff was free and the guy called him about 10pm one night and
left a nasty harrassing voicemail for him, which he now has a tape of for
the PUC to listen to.  So now he has like this $400 bill for a month of
phone service, and they are being total assholes about refunding his money
for the modems and the DSL service which he never got a chance to use.

Everytime I call those bastards I end up getting transferred at least 4
times, they have menuing systems that just disconnect you when you choose
certain options or just forward you to numbers that aren't in service
anymore, I sit on hold for abysmally long periods of time, and everyone I
talk to is a total asshole (and I'm usually very polite with them).  I spent
over 11 hours on my cellphone with them one month because they kept putting
me on hold, and the number I needed to call wasn't accessible from my home
phone (Qwest), go figure.  Every single bill I have ever received from them
with the exception of one, has been incorrect.  I've been charged for pager
and cellphone service that I never had, and my account once kept getting
transferred into someone elses name, 4 months in a row (same address, just a
different name).

This isn't even half of it, I've been through so much crap with them that I
could probably sit here and type all day about all the things that they've
screwed up or failed to do, the rude phone reps, the incompetent phone reps,
and the billing mistakes each and every month for they last 3 years.

And the worst part is, they're a monopoly in most areas.  I can't get the
ATT cablephone, and it's a law that you have to landline 911 service in a
residential home, so I can't just keep my cellphone around.  They just filed
with the FCC to increase their rates on DSL also.  I'm stuck with them until
ATT gets their cablephone in my area.

Qwest is the epitome of terrible service and if you have any problems with
Qwest, please file a complaint with the minnesota public utilities
commission:
MN Public Utilities Commission
121 7th Place E. Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55101-2147
Consumer Assistance/Information: 651/296-0406
TDD/TTY (For Hearing Impaired): 651/297-1200
Toll Free Dial 1 and Then: 800/657-3782
General Information: 651-296-7124
Fax: 651-297-7073

I heard Qwest actually gets fined $500 for each complaint, and the PUC just
assumes them to be true now because they get so many, no more
investigations, just a big fat bill.  I don't know if this is true or not,
but anything I can do to hurt Qwest makes me feel good, it's revenge for
them causing me more trouble than any other company or person that I do
business with, including the IRS.

Looks like I'm stuck with a cable modem (no hosting servers) unless I shell
out $1500 install + $400 a month for wireless from Implex.net, or $800 month
for a t1 (with a 2 year contract, blech..).