On Wednesday 25 July 2001 08:27 am, you wrote:
> Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
> >On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Shawn wrote:
> >>Nah, it really sucks when you have to try and fix them.  Particularly
> >>when it involves power windows and Cadillacs....
> >
> >You mean Carl's, or like the pneumatic power windows on the '59 (or
> >so) limos?
>
> I was referring to Carl's particular situation with his car.  But, being
> the former grease monkey that I am, nearly all power windows suck to try
> and fix.
>
> Someone at work asked me if I ever wanted to sit down with a bunch of
> engineers and ask why they design computers the way they do (meaning
> layout configurations in the cases/towers).  My response was: "Nah,
> computers are simple.  I'd really like to sit down and watch the
> engineers who design today's cars try and work on them."
>
> I thought I heard mention somewhere that they might be putting Linux
> into the on-board computers of cars.  Anyone have some confimation on this?
>
> Shawn

Volvo (the safest automaker, allegedly) has plans for onboard interactive
console, mounted on the dash between the driver and passenger, is supposed to
be an interactive map, plays videos, and has internet capabilities. And you
guessed it.. powered by Linux. However, the safest automaker is under fire
for their proposed occupant-interactive system for being worse than cell
phones as far as driver distraction. Duh!!
I have heard about Volvo's intended use for embedded linux in vehicle's
onboard computer (fuel injection mapping, ignition strategy, and prolly power
windows... maybe then they'll work properly!!)
I too used to be a grease monkey and know the frustrations of power windows!!
-K