On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 01:00:28AM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/11967.html

I can't say that I agree with JZ (the article's author) on much of
anything.  He seems to think that Free/Open Source Software has a
central purpose which all effort should be devoted towards and
redundant projects detract from that purpose, although he never
states what he believes that purpose to be.  I think that the point
of it all is to write good code that does what _you_ want instead of
what someone else thinks you want.  A plethora of yet-another-foo
projects aren't harmful in my view, they're essential.

> As I started to read this, I thought "rant" and "flamebait", but then the topic
> turned to .GNU and to tell your the truth, I read Ximians press release, I
> thought why? Why -follow- microsoft?

I don't mess with KDE or GNOME either, but I am on the mailing lists
for DotGNU and FreeDevelopers (which is where the idea was originally
hatched).  JZ obviously isn't on these lists, based on his comments
regarding DotGNU.

Mono is intended to be, essentially, a DotNET compatibilty layer.  As
I understand it, they're creating an open implementation of MS's
Common Language Runtime so that DotNET applications can be run on
non-MS systems.  They may be misguidedly following MS, but how is
mono any different from wine or samba in that respect?

DotGNU is focusing more on the Passport/HailStorm side of MS's
strategy.  The intent is to create a DotNET-compatible authentication
system which is distributed and fully-decentralized (the original
plan was to base the design off of DNS, but it was later decided that
even having root servers was too open to abuse) and gives the user
full control of his personal information, whether he wants to run an
auth server on his own desktop or delegate those functions to someone
else (bank, ISP, even MS).

As for JZ's ETA on DotGNU, it's possible that he's correct about it
being two years out, but there are those on the list who believe
that, by basing it off of existing Free code, a working auth system
could be in place before MS completes the rest of DotNET.

Personally, I don't believe that a DotNET-style vision of ASPs
everywhere is anything more than a passing fad.  But I do believe
that MS is trying to establish a lock on authentication services
which, if they succeed, could make them as powerful on the internet
as they are on the desktop today and render any victory in the
operating system arena irrelevant.  DotGNU is an attempt to head them
off with an open authentication system that will prevent any single
player from obtaining that stranglehold on the net.