Bob Tanner wrote:

> http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/11967.html
>
> As I started to read this, I thought "rant" and "flamebait", but then the topic
> turned to .GNU and to tell your the truth, I read Ximians press release, I
> thought why? Why -follow- microsoft?
>
> So I re-read the GNOME vs KDE part. Since I have been doing Java for months now,
> I don't dip into gtk vs qt stuff.
>
> I know this is probably flamebait, but I find GNOME -and- KDE both very good
> from a user stand point.
>
> Anyone care to comment on GNOME vs KDE from an developer prospective?

Two years ago I reviewed both KDE and Gnome.  The intended use was for putting a
GUI front end on a huge inventory control/order entry/sales analysis/accounting
package, so the decision was fairly critical.

I made the decision back then to go with Gnome because of:

o Licensing issues (which still are not perfect in the KDE world).
o Ability to develop in a variety of languages (such as C, C++, Perl, Python, ADA, etc...).
  KDE back then only allowed C++ - now there are apparently wrappers for a small number of
  languages.
o Corba support - I do not believe KParts has the ability to do remote execution of objects.
  If it does it is hard to believe that it will ever reach the sophistication and interoperability
  of Corba.
o Test apps I wrote at the time showed KDE to be perceptually slower than Gnome (I wrote product
  selectors using both widget sets).

Since that decision I've written several 10's of thousands of lines of GTK/Gnome code, most of it
in C with some prototyping in Python.  Most of the code has been in developing base level widgets
(product selectors, account selectors, service selectors, entry widgets with validation models
specific to our industry).  The choice to use C was made because C is incredibly easy to wrap
from other languages, and wrapping C++ is pretty near impossible given the state of name mangling.

One thing that has impressed me about gnome is that it is incredibly stable.  I can't think
of a single instance where a gtk/gnome widget has cored out (note that this is not the case
with KDE from what I've been reading).

In the end I think KDE and Gnome widgets will become interoperable via Corba, and indistinguishable
because of theming.

Coffee time...
Kent