Rod Strumbel <RStrumbel at popp.com> wrote:

> Problem:  It simply will not talk to any network cards I have installed
> in it.  Have tried a 3Com 3c509 (PCI) configured all the ifconfig
> params, and for some reason even after specifying interrupt 11 in the
> modules.conf, it is trying to use IRQ = 0 ????

Please check if you really have a PCI 3c509.  Every time I can recall that
fabled device coming up in this group, it's been because someone got
confused.  3Com didn't make the best decision by numbering their cards the
way they did (combinations of 0, 5, and 9).

If you have a PCI card, it's much more likely a 3c905.  I've only ever
seen the 3c509 as an ISA card.  On a PCI system, you just have to make
sure that the BIOS isn't getting confused about IRQs being used by ISA
cards (there should be an option in the bios to properly flag those IRQs).
 If it's an ISA card, you need to use the utility from 3Com to put the
card in non-PnP mode and set the IRQ.  I hear that Donald Becker has also
made a Linux utility for doing this, so (theoretically) you don't need to
scrounge around for a DOS boot disk..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Any philosophy that can
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   be put in a nutshell