Some cards must be cold booted, not rebooted (ie: turn the system power
off). Or just install the driver in the kernel instead of using a module
(run "make xconfig" to set up your kernel and 3com cards are specified).
If you have the right card, install the driver in the kernel, then
restart the system and it still doesn't work....hmmm...don't know. 3 com
cards 3c509b ISA and 3c900 XL PCI have always worked great for me, both
BNC and TP.

On 7/11/01, 7:00:46 PM, Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu> wrote regarding Re
[TCLUG] QSMP and Ethernet Cards.sdm:

> Rod Strumbel <RStrumbel at popp.com> wrote:
> >
> > Problem:  It simply will not talk to any network cards I have installed
> > in it.  Have tried a 3Com 3c509 (PCI) configured all the ifconfig
> > params, and for some reason even after specifying interrupt 11 in the
> > modules.conf, it is trying to use IRQ = 0 ????

> Please check if you really have a PCI 3c509.  Every time I can recall
that
> fabled device coming up in this group, it's been because someone got
> confused.  3Com didn't make the best decision by numbering their cards
the
> way they did (combinations of 0, 5, and 9).

> If you have a PCI card, it's much more likely a 3c905.  I've only ever
> seen the 3c509 as an ISA card.  On a PCI system, you just have to make
> sure that the BIOS isn't getting confused about IRQs being used by ISA
> cards (there should be an option in the bios to properly flag those
IRQs).