On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Spencer J Sinn wrote:

> I would love to get a copy on CD. I will give you 2 blank CD's for a copy or whatever else
> you may like to barter.
>
> <wishful thinking> I wish the Linux Distros (Red Hat, Slackware, SuSE
> et al) would get a clue. It is cheaper for a lot of people to just
> download their favorite linux than to spend $20-$30-$40-$50 on a
> bundle.

Well, you're still paying for bandwidth, that's all.  Latency is high, but
it compares well with the old benchmark of "Mag tape and a pickup
truck." :)  But printing manuals ain't cheap either -- especially when you
and your customers would like them to look/read better than, say, the
RedHat 5.2 books.  I don't think it's a matter of cluefulness, nor do I
think those sales are where they make their $$.

> I wish they had a contributions option in their stores so I could drop
> them $5-$10-whatever every time I download. Anybody else remember the
> *contributions* section at http://www.linuxmall.com ? </wishful
> thinking>

Well, it wouldn't cost anything extra to do that.  That sounds like
something that is stupid *not* to do, unless some marketing puke has said
"It gives us the image of begging -- better lose it."