You really have to look at the companies point of view. When they have a
position to fill it costs them plenty to fill it.   (both money (posting
ads, etc.) and man-hours to interview) They do not want to waste their
time on someone who might not cut it. It would end up costing the
company money in the long run. They want someone the first time. That's
why education isn't very useful. It doesn't represent the real-world.
Experience does. But how do you get experience? Usually you need to
start at the bottom. Yep, that's right, HELPDESK!!! Answering phones,
rebooting NT, etc. Once you are in at a company it usually is pretty
easy to 'show your stuff' and move into other positions. Then just move
up the ladder until you have enough experience to go for the job you
really want.

There also is the old saying: "It's not what you know, but who you
know." Companies are more willing to hire someone if a current employee
refers them. Get to know other members of the TCLUG or other local
groups. Go to the TCLUG meetings. Go to the beer meetings. Build up your
rollodex. Once you do that it will make finding a great job that much
easier.