On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 09:24:04AM -0600, Jamie Ostrowski wrote:
>    Try to look around, but I have been told by EVERYONE that the education
> doesn't count for much. They all want experience. Unfortunatly that is a
> ridiculous catch 22 situation for you and I.

Don't worry.  It could be worse.

I've got several years' experience, it just happens to be in Windows
programming.  Most employers seem to consider Windows programming and *nix
programming to be unrelated (and sysadmin is on a completely different
planet), so they prefer to consider me for entry-level positions.  When I
manage to convince them that I can do the job, then they can't believe
that I'd be willing to take a pay cut like that and turn me down for
being overqualified.  (In one case, a small local ISP turned me down
and managed to give as reasons that I was overqualified and that the
guy they took had more experience.  In the same sentence.)

--
SGI products are used to create the 'Bugs' that entertain us in theatres
and at home. - SGI job posting