Chris,

   Hi, I have been struggling to find entry level Unix/Linux work for a
couple of months now. I recently graduated (in Sept) with a two year AAS
degree in Info Systems Management. When I graduated I knew I wanted to be a
Unix admin. I went to the U of M's tech training center and got my Unix and
C programming certification which was 40 hrs a week for 2 months. With those
qualifications in hand plus about 2 yrs experience working personally with
FreeBSD and Red Hat, I went job hunting. I sent out tons of resumes. I had a
lot of calls from headhunters but as soon as I mentioned that I had no
FORMAL experience...'click'. I have found one possible path to try. I hope
it works. I am currently working for a contracting company but my first
contract is a 3 month customer service deal that kind of sucks, but they are
saying they can get me Unix work eventually if I am willing to stick with
them. What am I going to do? The work sucks but I have no other routes. I
have to hope that they are being upright and will eventually get me in once
I prove I am a good worker. In the meantime I keep working with my Linux
server to ensure I am on top of things.

   Try to look around, but I have been told by EVERYONE that the education
doesn't count for much. They all want experience. Unfortunatly that is a
ridiculous catch 22 situation for you and I.

   I am trying to put up a website that will help others like us in this
situation. I have met a lot of people in this dilemma and I thought it would
be good to help others in the same boat I am in. Good luck with your search.