Michael Hicks wrote:

> Kent Schumacher wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody have a working XFree86 4.xx with a Voodoo 3 (or Banshee?) and GL?
> >
> > Anybody know of any definitive links? Any advice????
>
> I only have bad news, though I have a Matrox G400, and my experiences
> should not be applied in any way to yours ;-)  I've been unsuccessful at
> several attempts to get GL working.  I used to be able to get things to
> work in the 3.3.x series, but things just haven't worked for me in
> 4.0.x.

I've been playing with different options in the hosts.def file, and while
I've not made any real progress, I have found that make World will blithely
proceed through the make process without stopping if anything other than
the server does not compile/link.  Needless to say, the parts where the
tdfx GL module compiles fails - it looks like I need to get a glide library
and headers installed correctly before I can proceed.

> You're probably at least somewhat better off than I have been.  For the
> Matrox cards, you apparently have to be in 16-bpp mode to do any GL
> graphics.  When I start my X server at a depth of 16, everything moves
> extraordinarily slowly -- basically as if I was running over a 56k link,
> even though the hardware is directly connected.

I'm pretty sure I'm limited to 16-bpp mode also (although I can't remember
now if that is true), but my 16-bpp mode screams.  Have you looked in the
Xfree log file (/var/log/Xfree86.log or somesuch)?  You can crank the verbosity
of Xfree86 up as well (-logverbose n).