Kent Schumacher wrote:

> Does anybody have a working XFree86 4.xx with a Voodoo 3 (or Banshee?) and GL?
>
> Anybody know of any definitive links? Any advice????

I only have bad news, though I have a Matrox G400, and my experiences
should not be applied in any way to yours ;-)  I've been unsuccessful at
several attempts to get GL working.  I used to be able to get things to
work in the 3.3.x series, but things just haven't worked for me in
4.0.x.

You're probably at least somewhat better off than I have been.  For the
Matrox cards, you apparently have to be in 16-bpp mode to do any GL
graphics.  When I start my X server at a depth of 16, everything moves
extraordinarily slowly -- basically as if I was running over a 56k link,
even though the hardware is directly connected.

Anyway, I'm in the process of trying out some new kernels (2.2.18 and
2.4.0 -- I had to wait for reiserfs to sync up...).  Maybe I'll get
brave again and set up 2.4.0 with agpgart, and set my system compiling
on X 4.0.2.

On the upside (IMO), X 4.0.x supports gamma correction (except in YUV
overlays, apparently).  It took a little getting used to (at first,
Slashdot's colors seemed to become even more vomit-inducing).  However,
once you're used to it, you can easily detect the web sites where a
graphic designer was obviously using a very dim screen..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   "My name is Linus
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   Torvalds. You killed my