jeffr at odeon.net wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've got a system that lost power today.  When power was restored and the
> system was powered back on it started to boot, and I expected to see the
> fsck, and if there were no serious errors I was expecting the system to
> boot.  Fsck ran, didn't find any serious errors, but the system wouldn't
> boot.  It turns out that the root file system was being mounted as
> read-only.  This was preventing the services from being able to create
> their lock files, which was keeping the system from booting.
>
> I restarted the system in single user mode, checked the filesystem again
> (which didn't find any errors), verified /etc/fstab, and rebooted the
> system.  Same thing, the root file system is being mounted read-only.
>
> After rebooting one more time I specified "root=/dev/sda1 rw" at boot.
> The system now booted, but didn't mount any of the other drives.  I have
> now manually mounted the other file systems, the required services are now
> running, and the machine is up.  However, upon reboot it will mount the
> root file system as read-only unless explicitely told otherwise on boot
> (I've tested this, there were actually a few more reboots than what I
> outlined above).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Jeff

Check your /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script for damage.  The system is normally
mounted read-only for the fsck and then in the rc.sysinit script it is
remounted read-write.  It then loads some modules and the rest of the local
filesystems.  If this file is bad your system could exhibit the symptoms you
are speaking of...

Eric
 eric at urbanrage.com