On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 jeffr at odeon.net wrote:

> I've got a system that lost power today.  When power was restored and the
> system was powered back on it started to boot, and I expected to see the
> fsck, and if there were no serious errors I was expecting the system to
> boot.  Fsck ran, didn't find any serious errors, but the system wouldn't
> boot.  It turns out that the root file system was being mounted as
> read-only.  This was preventing the services from being able to create
> their lock files, which was keeping the system from booting.

It's typical for the root filesystem to be mounted read-only on boot;
it's then re-mounted read-write after the fsck is completed. I can't
think of any reason why it would fail to do that, but that's what you
would need to look for.

Not sure if that helps at all, but it's something. :)

Pacem in Terris / Mir / Shanti / Salaam / Heiwa
Kevin R. Bullock