On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Bill Layer wrote:

> > Various Mac enthusiests that I know have previously suggested that I
> > try re-installing the OS, to fix a cronic lockup problem.  My guess is
> > whatever was causing the lockups finally got bad enough to prevent it from
> > booting as well.
>
> Doubtful.. are you certain that the hard disk is not failed? I'd suggest
> booting with a system 7.6 disk tools floppy and checking on the status of the
> hard disk. You can also try zapping the PRAM (command + option + p + r if I
> recall, as the machine boots). You may have corrupt boot data.

Well, the hard disk is spinning up, and is accessed prior to the boot
process failing.  It is not making any unusual noises, and was working
just fine until now...   I think it's all right...  If not, I do have
another laptop SCSI hard drive that I could use.

> > Is anyone else familiar with Mklinux?  This is my first installation on a
> > non-intel machine.
> >
> > Do I need to get MacOS running again first, or can I directly install
> > linux?
>
> You will need a minimal MacOS partition to boot from.. I'd suggest a 10MB
> partition, with a very minimal install of system 7. something. 7.01 might be
> a good choice, and it's free.

I have tried booting from a MacOS system CD, but have been unable to get
it to boot using an external CD-ROM drive.  This could have been a bad CD,
however, since I only have one.

> > Also, the machine does not have a CD-ROM drive, but I do have the external
> > centronics 50 pin SCSI cable for it.
>
> Fine, then linux can be installed from an external SCSI hard disk or CD-ROM.
> If we intend to use the (3rd party external) CD-ROM, be prepared for MacOS to
> act extremely stupid about it..
>
> I'll be bringing a m68k machine or two to the installfest...

Do you also have a MkLinux CD?  If so, I can be sure to make the
installfest...  I'm not sure if my external CD-ROM drive works, but
perhaps someone else will have a SCSI CD-ROM at the installfest.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
What the president of the Motion Picture Association of America says about

"I'm rather jubilant now. What Judge Kaplan did was blow away every one of
these brittle and fragile rebuttals. He threw out fair use; he threw out
reverse engineering; he threw out linking."

- Jack Valenti, president of the Motion Picture Association of America.

______         _ __         "If you don't have the freedom to use what you
  /           ' )  )               own - then you do not own anything."
 / o ______    /  / _  . .    No apologies to Jack Valenti or the MPAA
/ <_/ / / <   /  (_</_(_/_  -- tneu at visi.com / http://www.visi.com/~tneu --