Tim,

On Tuesday 27 February 2001 03:01, you wrote:
> Well, the hard disk is spinning up, and is accessed prior to the boot
> process failing.

Ok, so you mean to say that it looks, but can't find anything? Safe to say
that (in the least) some data is missing. Corrupt / unblessed System folder
etc.

 It is not making any unusual noises, and was working
> just fine until now...   I think it's all right...  If not, I do have
> another laptop SCSI hard drive that I could use.

Might need it.

> I have tried booting from a MacOS system CD, but have been unable to get
> it to boot using an external CD-ROM drive.  This could have been a bad CD,
> however, since I only have one.

normally that is done by holding down 'c' as the machine starts. If it won't
go, it could be because the external CD-ROM is not Genuine Apple on the
firmware level. (Is it?) I Do have a good bootable system 7.6 CD, as well as
the startup floppies (which can be made from the CD).

> Do you also have a MkLinux CD?  If so, I can be sure to make the
> installfest...

I have never used mklinux, only Debian m68k on the Macs. I'm not aware of a
.iso image for m68k Debian, but I do have the base install set burned to a
cd-rom. Once you install the base, the machine can get the rest from the
Internet with apt.

I'm not sure if my external CD-ROM drive works, but
> perhaps someone else will have a SCSI CD-ROM at the installfest.

I'll have at least one..

--

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-