Hello Tim,

On Monday 26 February 2001 14:42, you wrote:
> I have a Mac powerbook 5300 which I would like to put Linux on.
> I have read up a little bit, and have found that only the Mklinux
> distribution runs on it due to its non-PCI archietecture.  (it is a NuBus
> based machine).

This sounds correct based on what I have read also.

> Various Mac enthusiests that I know have previously suggested that I
> try re-installing the OS, to fix a cronic lockup problem.  My guess is
> whatever was causing the lockups finally got bad enough to prevent it from
> booting as well.

Doubtful.. are you certain that the hard disk is not failed? I'd suggest
booting with a system 7.6 disk tools floppy and checking on the status of the
hard disk. You can also try zapping the PRAM (command + option + p + r if I
recall, as the machine boots). You may have corrupt boot data.

> Is anyone else familiar with Mklinux?  This is my first installation on a
> non-intel machine.
>
> Do I need to get MacOS running again first, or can I directly install
> linux?

You will need a minimal MacOS partition to boot from.. I'd suggest a 10MB
partition, with a very minimal install of system 7. something. 7.01 might be
a good choice, and it's free.

> Also, the machine does not have a CD-ROM drive, but I do have the external
> centronics 50 pin SCSI cable for it.

Fine, then linux can be installed from an external SCSI hard disk or CD-ROM.
If we intend to use the (3rd party external) CD-ROM, be prepared for MacOS to
act extremely stupid about it..

I'll be bringing a m68k machine or two to the installfest...

--

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-