On 17 Feb 2001, Clay Fandre wrote:

> First of all, lets hope this works because this is my first message from
> evolution. We'll see if it works or not.

It seems to have worked just dandy.  I can even read it in PINE.<g>

> But here are a few suggestions:
> - Don't use /usr on the client systems. Use something like /usr/local or
> /opt/local or /apps. This will keep local packages seperate from
> NFS-mounted applications.

So mount under /apps and just include that in everyone's path, right?

> - On the NFS server you can export /usr, but I'd suggest exporting
> /usr/local instead. Then install any applications you want to share in
> /usr/local. (or whatever you export) But this will make it harder to use
> packages (rpm, deb) because they all want to go in /usr. If you really
> want to use packages, you should use /usr on the server, and then mount
> it as /usr/local on the client.

Some of what I'd want to share goes there anyway, so no problem.  But what
about things like a /var directory or /etc config file, where each machine
might have its own?  Do I really need to learn *all* my packages that
well, or is there a more brainless shotgun approach?

> - Make the exported directories READ-ONLY. This will save you a lot of
> grief. There is no need to the application directories to be R/W. (but
> of course /home will need to be R/W.)

Yes -- I saw that one coming!

> - Make your beefier machine the client. NFS fileserving isn't that
> intensive, so I'd put the power with the application. (But then you have
> disk-I/O to consider...)

Yep, that's the idea.  Many hands make light work, so a 486 NFS server,
and another as a firewall, etc.

Very helpful, thanks Clay.

Phil M
--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous