On 17 Feb 2001 11:40:03 -0600, Philip C Mendelsohn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a practical question for you network admin types.
>
> I can serve and mount NFS things all day long, but have a question about
> using this power for good instead of evil.
>
> If I have say 6 computers, and would like to have one central /usr, does
> this create problems when one set of software is run on one computer but
> not another?
>
> I.E., I have one respectable machine that does all the big memory
> intensive / number crunching things and some 486 / Pentium machines that
> are fine for outlying nodes.  Rather than have netscape or mozilla hogging
> drive space on each machine, I could serve /usr.  The hesitation is (this
> is a Debian network) if I install a package from one machine, what happens
> to the config files, since each machine (presumably) has its own /etc,
> /var, ...
>
> Or, do you share the drive, install from each machine, then /usr collects
> everything from everyone, and it doesn't matter if you overwrite something
> with the same thing.  (I *shudder* at the kludgy nature of this!)
>
> Any tips on sharing /usr, /home, and integrating with NIS would be
> appreciated.  I haven't found TFM to R yet. <g>

First of all, lets hope this works because this is my first message from
evolution. We'll see if it works or not.

As for sharing nfs filesystems for applications, that's a perfect idea.
But here are a few suggestions:
- Don't use /usr on the client systems. Use something like /usr/local or
/opt/local or /apps. This will keep local packages seperate from
NFS-mounted applications.
- On the NFS server you can export /usr, but I'd suggest exporting
/usr/local instead. Then install any applications you want to share in
/usr/local. (or whatever you export) But this will make it harder to use
packages (rpm, deb) because they all want to go in /usr. If you really
want to use packages, you should use /usr on the server, and then mount
it as /usr/local on the client.
- Make the exported directories READ-ONLY. This will save you a lot of
grief. There is no need to the application directories to be R/W. (but
of course /home will need to be R/W.)
- Make your beefier machine the client. NFS fileserving isn't that
intensive, so I'd put the power with the application. (But then you have
disk-I/O to consider...)

Hope this helps.

Clay