> VMWare Express is VMWare's copmetition for Win4Lin. Win4Lin and VMWare
> Express only support Windows 95 and Windows 98. VMWare Workstation supports
> DOS, Windows 3.1, Win95, Win98, NT4, Windows 2000, Linux, FreeBSD, and has
> an Other option for any other OS that will run on x86.
>
> I've heard that Win4Lin performs better than VMWare, but I haven't gotten
> arount to trying the demo, plus I need NT and 2000. Win4Lin might be OK for
> home though. :)

I run Win4Lin on a PII 266 laptop w/128MB.  Performance is very
reasonable, even with only 32MB allocated to the VM process.  It also
sits on top of linux so there are no other partitoins to contend with or
anything.

The installation was automatic on RH and Suse (Debian is supported but it
might be a little more work).  Basically you have to build a small kernel
patch and module.

I run office 2000 and Dreamweaver on it wihtout any problem.  It also
comes in handy for those "broken" websites.

I gave the 30 day test drive a whirl and had blown away my windows
partition before it had expired.

One potential problem for a production envireonment, it doesn't speak the
microsoft networking language, so you can't use it for SMB mounts.  You
can however use linux to mount the windows (or hopefully samba) shares
into a directory that Windows can see.

Another neat feature I found useful is that I can give the VM access to
the parallel port and talk to things directly, whether configured in
Linux or not.

Charlie