Jacqueline Urick wrote:

 > Anyone on the list successfully using vmware workstation or vmware
 > express? What's really the difference (besides the price)? Is it easy
 > to use or is it still kinda "clunky".
 >
 > I've got a dell insprion 5000e, I would like to run debian on it, but I
 > need to have dreamweaver, flash and all my adobe apps available. My
 > last laptop barely met the min requirments for vmware so I didn't even
 > bother. Now it seems more viable.

I run VMWare Workstation on a 1GHZ PIII w/ 256mb RAM. It runs Windows 2000
rather nicely.

I also run it on an Athlon 700 w/ 256mb RAM. The all SCSI configuration
keeps performance on par with the PIII.

The big limitation is DirectX. It just really isn't there, so don't bother
with games. I run Office 2000, IE, etc. without problems. If you really want
I can test Dreamweaver for you I suppose.

In any case, I can't see running VMWare with less than 256mb of RAM. I used
to run it with 128 on the Athlon and the system got pretty bogged down.

VMWare Express is VMWare's copmetition for Win4Lin. Win4Lin and VMWare
Express only support Windows 95 and Windows 98. VMWare Workstation supports
DOS, Windows 3.1, Win95, Win98, NT4, Windows 2000, Linux, FreeBSD, and has
an Other option for any other OS that will run on x86.

I've heard that Win4Lin performs better than VMWare, but I haven't gotten
arount to trying the demo, plus I need NT and 2000. Win4Lin might be OK for
home though. :)

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132