> One potential problem for a production envireonment, it doesn't speak the
> microsoft networking language, so you can't use it for SMB mounts.  You
> can however use linux to mount the windows (or hopefully samba) shares
> into a directory that Windows can see.

I'm slightly confused. You're saying that you can't mount windows shares in
VM, but that if you mount them through Linux the VM can see them?
EWWWWWWWWWWWWW! That really sucks. VMWare doesn't have such limitations. The
Windows VMWare clients work fine for sharing files and mapping network
driver. I've even had both NT and Windows 2000 domain controllers as well as
Citrix terminal servers working under VMWare. VMWare is an excellent
testbed. (Undoable disks are quite useful.)

As far as partitioning goes, you get a few options with VMWare.

A virtual disk is a file on the host file system that appears as a physical
disk drive to a guest operating system. The file system can be on the host
machine or on a remote computer. When you configure a virtual machine with a
virtual disk, you can install a new operating system onto the disk file
without the need to repartition a physical disk or reboot the host. Virtual
disks are limited to a maximum of 2GB. The actual file used by the virtual
disk starts out small and grows to the maximum size as needed.

A plain disk is like a virtual disk, but it can be larger than 2GB. It is
composed of several files, called extents. Each extent is limited to 2GB in
length. Unlike a virtual disk, when a plain disk is created, all the disk
space defined for the extents is allocated and filled with zeros.

A raw disk directly accesses an existing local disk or partition. Raw disks
can be used to allow VMware to run one or more guest operating systems from
existing disk partitions. Raw disks may be set up on both IDE and SCSI
devices. At this time, however, booting from an operating system already set
up on an existing SCSI disk or partition is experimental.

On top of that, you get a few different modes you can throw these disks
into.
Persistent: Same as using an actual disk. Changes are written as you go. Can
be used with all above disk types (Vitural, plain, Raw)

Nonpersistent: Changes to nonpersistent disks are not saved during the
VMware session and are lost at the end of the session (that is, when the
virtual machine is powered off or reset).

Undoable: Similar to Nonpersistent, but when you poweroff you can choose to
commit or discard the changes. VERY useful for testing software installs and
the like.

> Another neat feature I found useful is that I can give the VM access to
> the parallel port and talk to things directly, whether configured in
> Linux or not.

In VMWare you can configure the VM to give access to hardware that you have
configured. (Paralell and Serial ports.) You should be able to install your
printer (even those darn winprinters) or palm pilot drivers under VMWare and
get them working (haven't tried this myself, been using network printing for
some time now, even at home.)

Though if you can browse the web I can't imagine why you can't get SMB
shares working. Even the Win4Lin site states that it Supports Windows TCP/IP
networking, so everything should work. You may need to find the registry
hack to make Windows use plaintext passwords to access samba shares (or
change security to share in smb.conf, or make your samba server part of the
NT/2000 domain and bypass the issue all together)

In the end:
If you need development/test enviorment or support for something besides
Win9x you're stuck with VMWare Workstation. If you just need 9x and fully
functional networking, you'll be ok with VMWare Express. If your resources
are limited, sounds like Win4Lin is your best bet. (Though it might have a
few network quirks.)

Anyone played with plex86 to see how functional it is/isn't?

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132