Jim Crumley wrote:

> > > What type of laptop do you have? Have you looked at the Linux on
> > > laptops page <www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/>?
> > > Do you know what sound chip your laptop has?  Its unlikely

> A quick Google search brought this page for MagicMedia 256AV sound
> drivers <http://lhd.datapower.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?1271>,
> which looks promising. It looks like there is a driver with
> the standard kernel.  Re-compiling the kernel should do the
> trick (or maybe even just inserting the correct modules by
> hand).

Dug all through the system, ran a search and couldn't find anything
closely related to this module or driver.  From the date on this, would
think it'd be in the 2.2.16 kernel (SuSe 7.0).  There is a help file on
the video portion of this all-in-wonder card.  Video works fine with the
standard X-svga (I think, whatever the default is on install).  Would
this be something I could find on sourceforge, or the like?  They're not
showing a URL to where I could get it.

Either that, or alsa might be a solution if I can't find it.  Maybe 2.4
kernel will have it built in?