On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 04:36:18PM -0600, Shawn Fertch wrote:
> Jim Crumley wrote:
>
> > What type of laptop do you have? Have you looked at the Linux on
> > laptops page <www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/>?
> > Do you know what sound chip your laptop has?  Its unlikely
> > that you'd need a driver directly from IBM.
> >

> IBM Thinkpad i1720.  Has the MagicMedia 256AV Audio Device.  SuSe
> detects it, but says that it can't be installed due to no available
> driver.  I looked at a webpage on laptops but they didn't discuss this
> particular issue.  Someone mentioned alsa and the like, but I tried and
> couldn't get it to go.  Think it's an enduser issue.  Haven't had much
> time to go beyond that.

A quick Google search brought this page for MagicMedia 256AV sound
drivers <http://lhd.datapower.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?1271>,
which looks promising. It looks like there is a driver with
the standard kernel.  Re-compiling the kernel should do the
trick (or maybe even just inserting the correct modules by
hand).

--
Jim Crumley                  |
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |