> I'll save the standard 'if you want bleeding-edge run testing' speech,
> since I assume you've heard that part already. :)
	already am.
	but stuff like Galeon, GQview, Pan, Mozilla, Xchat... are many versions
behind the current stuff on their web pages. (this is to be expected).

> 1) If I can find source, I compile from that rather than using an RPM
> usually. It keeps my system generally cleaner. From source I can go one
> of two directions:
>   A) If I'm lazy, or just want to test something, and/or it doesn't need
>   to be in the same location as packaged things, I'll just throw it in
>   /usr/local/stow/<packagename> and stow it.
	sounds like a reasonable option for stuff you don't update much.
	or is it good for testing new versions of stuff? make a separate
directory under /usr/local/stow for each new version?

>   B) If the package does need the same prefix as pre-packaged things
>   (e.g. extra GNOME libraries), and/or I'm feeling meticulous/anal, I
>   make a Debian package out of it. This isn't as hard as it seems at
>   first. The best place to start reading is probably the New
>   Maintainer's Guide, available at
>   http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-first.html.
	I'll have to learn it one of these days. I'm pretty much a
non-coder, but I have contributed some RPM .spec files to projects.

> 2) If you want to install from RPM, I would recommend using alien. It
> does a fairly clean job of things, and you can always check the .deb it
> generates before you install it. I believe there's also a way to tweak
> the control scripts before you actually build the package.
	how well does it deal with apt-get upgrades? I would hope that by
using this method; the version I install wouldn't be overwritten by
something that apt grabbed (unless there indeed was a newer version on the
debian mirrors).

thanks a lot for the advice!
Carl Soderstrom
--