On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 10:43:42PM -0600, dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu wrote:
>I know a lot of people on the list have played with ReiserFS, so maybe some
>of you have seen my problem before.  I had a few spare moments this weekend
>and decided to play with the 2.4.1 kernel and ReiserFS.  I've got ReiserFS
>support compiled in and I downloaded, compiled and installed the newest
>reiserfs-utils.  I have a RAID and I had a have a spare 50 GB partition
>laying around, so I figured, what the hell :)  Anyway, mkreiserfs went
>without a hitch:

Software RAID or HW RAID? It matters, there are some locking issues with
certain types of software RAID and journaled filesystems.

>ATTENTION: ALL DATA WILL BE LOST ON '/dev/sda6'! (y/n)y
>journal size 8192 (from 18)
>Initializing journal - 0%....20%....40%....60%....80%....100%
>Syncing..done.
>
>but I can't mount the drive
>
># mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/reiser
>mount: /dev/sda6 has wrong major or minor number

A quote from reiserfs.org FAQ
"I get the following message:

            mount: /dev/hda5 has wrong major or minor number

reiserfs is not compiled in and not available as a module."

Sure you're booting with the right kernel? I've built kernels before and
didn't run lilo on them and had this happen.

>When I look at this partition in fdisk, it has a ext2 type (because I set
>it that way at one point), and there is no option to set the label to
>ReiserFS.

No.