> That's OK.  Kernel hackers SHOULD only work on the main trunk from
> Linus.  I think Red Hat needs to have their brains fsck'd, they're
> missing a few inode entries.

Only a few?

> Wow.  Idiot Ben's frustrated?!  No way! ;-)  I take it you're trying
> to run 'unstable', huh?  Haven't you moved to 'testing'?  The nice
> thing about Debian's 'testing' distribution is that there's a criteria
> of "success" for all packages being uploaded to 'unstable' before they
> migrate to 'testing'.  Stable is just that, stable; based on a
> feature/software freeze.

Testing isn't enough fun. Things just don't break often enough.

> So, what's frustrating you about Debian?  Have you learned how to
> create your own *.deb's yet?

Nope. I just use stow. ( http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/ ) It fits my
needs.
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/package-name-version
make && make install
cd /usr/local/stow
stow package-name-version

stow is simply a perl script that creates a bunch of symlinks for you in
/usr/local/. To unstow, cd /usr/local/stow, stow -D package-name-version.

Works great for avifile, gatter, gq, and xmms (darn Ximinan packages were
segfaulting) I even got VMWare to work with stow.

In some situations building your own packages is worth it. Building some
NVidia debs along with a mesa-dev deb that doesn't conflict with the NVidia
stuff would be useful. (Hmmm....installs package maintainer manual...)

But hey, the nice part about stow is that it isn't a tool specific to
Debian. :)

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132