On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 01:54:45PM -0600, Ben Lutgens wrote:
> RedHat's kernel is more like a forked version of the code than it is
> a linus kernel. They add about 50 patches and still call it 2.2.18
> (or whatever) when in all actuallity it has most of the
> functionallity of a 2.4 kernel. Problem is for developers who are
> hacknig in kernel space (like sistina) we are forced to tell people
> that we only support stock kernels from an official kernel mirror.

That's OK.  Kernel hackers SHOULD only work on the main trunk from
Linus.  I think Red Hat needs to have their brains fsck'd, they're
missing a few inode entries.

> As far as distros are concerened I am about fed up with them all, I
> am anxiously awaiting slack 7.2, debian's developers are making a
> nasty habit of screwing things up lately and I am tired of dealing
> with it.

Wow.  Idiot Ben's frustrated?!  No way! ;-)  I take it you're trying
to run 'unstable', huh?  Haven't you moved to 'testing'?  The nice
thing about Debian's 'testing' distribution is that there's a criteria
of "success" for all packages being uploaded to 'unstable' before they
migrate to 'testing'.  Stable is just that, stable; based on a
feature/software freeze.

So, what's frustrating you about Debian?  Have you learned how to
create your own *.deb's yet?  I've recently dedicated some time to it
and found out just how slick the setup really is.  The source uploads
by developers mirrors many features of FreeBSD.  The nice thing about
Debian is that once the source upload has been received by the debian
archive, it is verified, autocompiled, and checked for sanity before
being added to 'unstable' as a binary.  Granted, things slip by, as no
automated system is fool proof.  Still, it exhibits the 'diff'
patching of upstream sources, just like FreeBSD's ports system.  The
difference is that the source is (typically) compiled by the Debian
servers, although you can use it like the FreeBSD ports system.

The only thing Debian needs to do to get the 'apt-get source <package>
--build' working "out-of-the-box" is to correctly specify the
Build-Depends requirements.  For example, if the Debian developer
uploads a MySQL GUI front-end, an obvious Build-Depends value would be
something like

    Build-Depends: libmysql-dev >> <version>, libgtk-dev >> <version>

'-dev' packages are typically the headers files and development
documentation.

> hence the recent convert to freebsd (which is very slick)

Hey, why not! ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD