Are you using enlightenment as your window manager (Gnome\enlightenment is
the RH6.1 default)?  If so, you need to change the configuration so that new
windows automagically get the focus.  You can change the settings via Gnome
Control Center -> Window Manager -> Run Configuration Tool for
Enlightenment ->  Behavior.  Make sure that the "All new windows that appear
get the keyboard focus" option is selected.

Jon Erickson