> iface eth1 inet static
>  address 65.165.xxx.xxx
>  netmask 255.255.xxx.xxx
>  network 65.165.xxx.xxx
>  broadcast 65.165.xxx.xxx

Good here.

> Here's what shows from ifconfig -a:
>
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
>           inet addr:10.0.0.x  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:206 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           Interrupt:10 Base address:0x210
             ^^^^^^^^^^
See Below.

> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
>           inet addr:65.xxx.xx.xx  Bcast:65.xxx.xx.xx  Mask:255.255.xxx.xxx
>           BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           Interrupt:10 Base address:0x300
             ^^^^^^^^^^
Bad.
If these cards are what you said, an ISA and a PCI, you have a
genuine, bonafide IRQ conflict of the old scholl here.
Change the IRQ on one of them and both should start working.

> Ideas?  They're 3c905b cards.  One is an isa, the other pci 10Mb.
>
> > | 2)  For ip-chains and ip-filter, what packages do I need to install?
> > | Someone
> >
> > apt-get install ipchains ipmasqadm
>
> I didn't do this part yet, but to me trying to get packages in Debian is
> like trying to fill out forms in triplicate for buying a house.  I went
> through modconf, and it was highly confusing.  The nice part about it is
> that it gives good descriptions of what they packages are, and it warns you
> somewhat about the conflicts.

I still find dselect to be the best at handling the dependencies.
Of course, debian was too easy for me, so I am using a minor
distribution now. I'll pass on the results shortly.

> This may sound odd to some of you, but I find Debian confusing to install.
Debian's install still sucks. It really wins on package management and
package quantity.

> To me, it's probably the most confusing.  I've been using Slackware for
> about a year now I think, so I'm used to it the most.  I would have
> preferred to use Slackware, but for some reason there were a couple of
> things broken that I couldn't get working: wouldn't detect my 2nd nic and I
> couldn't get IPfilters to work with the 2.4.5 kernel.

The second NIC problem was probably the IRQ conflict.

As far as IPFilters go, I always got kernel related packages from the
original sources when I was running Slackware. This was years
ago, but I never could get the precompiled versions to work
properly with my system...

--
Daniel Taylor
dante at plethora.net