Okay, I modified the /etc/network/interfaces file:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
iface eth0 inet static
 address 10.0.0.xx
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 network 10.0.0.0
 broadcast 10.0.0.255

iface eth1 inet static
 address 65.165.xxx.xxx
 netmask 255.255.xxx.xxx
 network 65.165.xxx.xxx
 broadcast 65.165.xxx.xxx

Here's what shows from ifconfig -a:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
          inet addr:10.0.0.x  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x210

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
          inet addr:65.xxx.xx.xx  Bcast:65.xxx.xx.xx  Mask:255.255.xxx.xxx
          BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x300

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

However, when I go to ping something, I can't get a response back.  I get "network
resource not available"  On a reboot, I get the error message: SIOCSIFFLAGS
resource temporarily unavailable" or something like that.  I can't ping from either
card, or to either internal or external network addresses.

Ideas?  They're 3c905b cards.  One is an isa, the other pci 10Mb.

> | 2)  For ip-chains and ip-filter, what packages do I need to install?  Someone
> apt-get install ipchains ipmasqadm

I didn't do this part yet, but to me trying to get packages in Debian is like
trying to fill out forms in triplicate for buying a house.  I went through modconf,
and it was highly confusing.  The nice part about it is that it gives good
descriptions of what they packages are, and it warns you somewhat about the
conflicts.

This may sound odd to some of you, but I find Debian confusing to install.  To me,
it's probably the most confusing.  I've been using Slackware for about a year now I
think, so I'm used to it the most.  I would have preferred to use Slackware, but
for some reason there were a couple of things broken that I couldn't get working:
wouldn't detect my 2nd nic and I couldn't get IPfilters to work with the 2.4.5
kernel.

For as much as I complain about Slackware, I still prefer it over other distros.
However, I'll still try and pound away on Debian to see if I can get it to work.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Shawn