On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Shawn wrote:

| 1)  How do I get the second NIC card up for my external IP address?  I know

Edit /etc/networking/interfaces with $EDITOR :) I think an example
interfaces file can be found in /usr/share/doc/netbase.

If not, the format is simple:

For DHCP:
iface eth0 inet dhcp

For Static:
iface eth0 inet static
	address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
	netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
	broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
	gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
	network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

For Progeny, Woody, and Sid you need to add lines to specify that you want
the interface to be automatically configured on boot. So at the top of my
file, I have:

auto lo eth0

So the loopback deviace and eth0 are automaticaly configured. I don't
thing you need this line in Potato however, and you will get an error if
you put it in.

| 2)  For ip-chains and ip-filter, what packages do I need to install?  Someone
apt-get install ipchains ipmasqadm

Netfilter is a 2.4 feature, and 2.4 isn't supported on Potato.

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
	"I MIGHT be DANGEROUS!" --The Tick