On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, Scott Raun wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 12:32:02AM -0600, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> > I started what I'd assumed to be an easy task tonight, setting up a
> > name-based virtual host on my home server. I looked at the docs and it
> > seems very simple...too simple. :-)
>
> If you're doing NAT, you have to use the IP address OF THE BOX RUNNING
> APACHE!  I kept trying to set it up using my external address, when it
> needed to be my 10.x.x.x address that I'd assigned to the physical
> box.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! This was exactly the problem,
and this should probably be in the documentation.

My Web server sits behind my Cisco 675 router (which is doing NAT) in my
DMZ. I put the 10.0.0.2 address in and all was well. This also solved
another problem I'd been having, but hadn't sat down to figure out.

Google search summary:
If you're trying to do name-based virtual hosting with Apache and you're
using NAT on your network, you must specify the actual IP address of the
server in httpd.conf, not the external one that gets translated.

Thanks Scott!

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com