On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 09:27:31AM -0600, Terry Houle wrote:
> Probably a dump question but I got some Linux decals that say
> "Warning:Turning off the power or pressing reset switch could lose contents
> of hard drive.  If you must restart this system, please get help or use
> Ctrl-Alt-Del".  My question is if Linux is more of a problem than Windows if
> shutdown improperly? Sometimes in Windows even the  Ctrl-Alt-Del won't work
> and I have to reset.  I know it is not good but the only option in Windows
> when it hangs up.

It depends. You can have bad luck...

I got the box to hang on me a couple of times (*) and nothing bad happened.
Of course the files I had open were more or less toasted, but the box
came up fine.

Ext3 in full journal mode is supposed to alleviate most of the problems.

> I know I will get the Linux is not Windows, but wondering if there is
> difference?

Most of the time, in this respect, no.

florin

(*) KDE + X driver or mozilla + X driver

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4