> On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 09:27:31AM -0600, Terry Houle wrote:
>> Probably a dump question but I got some Linux decals that say
>> "Warning:Turning off the power or pressing reset switch could lose
>> contents of hard drive.  If you must restart this system, please get
>> help or use Ctrl-Alt-Del".  My question is if Linux is more of a
>> problem than Windows if shutdown improperly? Sometimes in Windows even
>> the  Ctrl-Alt-Del won't work and I have to reset.  I know it is not
>> good but the only option in Windows when it hangs up.
>
> It depends. You can have bad luck...
>
> I got the box to hang on me a couple of times (*) and nothing bad
> happened. Of course the files I had open were more or less toasted, but
> the box came up fine.

One way to get around this is to compile the Magic SysRq Key into the
kernel, check under "Kernel Hacking"

This will allow you to sync your filesystems even if the kernel is mostly
locked up, usually it goes like this:
Alt-SysRq-S - this sync the fs, wait for done to appear or hope that it
apeared if you use X
Alt-SysRq-U - This umounts all filesystems and mounts them RO
Alt-SysRq-B - This reboots the system

more options can be found in Documentation/sysrq.txt iirc, in you kernel
source directory.

if you SSH into your box DO NOT use this option;-)

florin, when X crashes on me most of the time i can SSH in and kill X, have
you tried that?

 -munir