On Friday 14 December 2001 10:56, Michael Vieths wrote:
> In Slackware, you'd want to install gtkplus.tgz to get gtk.h.  It can be
> downloaded from:
>
> ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/slakware/gtk1/gtkplus.tgz
>
> If you check www.slackware.com, there's a 'packages' link on the left
> side.  It'll bring you to a dropdown, where you can select a
> group.  There's one called 'GTK - GTK+ and GNOME programs for X', and you
> can find other GTK and Gnome packages in there.

Yep, knew this.  However, the problem that I run into is that I don't know
what packages contain what.  Try to click on the description information, and
I get "File not found" in Opera.  And "Netscape is unable to find the file or
directory named /pub/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/gtk1/diskgtk1." in
Netscape.    This is for Slackware current.

Now, the kicker....  Try to find something for Slackware 8.0 on the i386
port.  Go ahead, try it.  It comes back with:  Sorry; version 8.0 of
Slackware Linux does not exist for the Intel architecture.  Please return to
Package Browser to verify your selection.    Hmm, doesn't exist?   Then what
the F*** am I running on all my Intel machines with Slackware Linux on them??
 It sure as hell isn't 7.1.  Yes, I know 8.0 is the current release.  But
I've always taken "current" as being the next release they are working on.

I like Slack, better than any other distros I've tried: Mandrake, SuSe, RH.
I don't know a whole lot, but I prefer it over the others.  However, it's
really starting to tick me off that I'm running into these issues with Slack.
 Yes, I know they've run into problems lately...  Slack used to have a
"forum" site, but it appears that they've removed it.

The more I look at Debian, the more I'm beginning to really want to load it.

Shawn