On Dec 13 at 10:06AM Shawn wrote:

> I'd like to try and get away from K-mail, I'd use pine, but I want
> a GUI interface so I'm looking at Sylpheed.

*cough* mutt

> When I do make or make install I get an error message saying that
> gtk.h is needed.  It's on my system:

> /opt/gnome/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtk.h

> Why is it that it keeps erroring out on me then?  Do I need to
> compile or load it or ????

doing something like

ln -s /opt/gnome/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtk.h /usr/include/gtk.h

and then running configure should give you better results. you'll
probably have to do that with a few other headers if they are in
weird places as well. you could always just change your include
path, but what fun is that?

> Second, I've been looking at Debian as another distro to install
> on a system.  However, the one thing holding me back from it for
> the most part is the stable version is still at 2.2.19 kernel it
> looks like.  Can someone explain why Debian is so far behind in
> their stable release compared to all the other distros?

2.4 isn't really 'stable' in many people's eyes, I would guess that
has something to do with it. see: filesystem corruption, virtual
memory changes, etc.

tim lupfer              tl at assimilated.org
familiarity breeds contempt--and children.
            --mark twain's notebook.