I'd like to try and get away from K-mail, I'd use pine, but I want a GUI
interface so I'm looking at Sylpheed.  When I do make or make install I get
an error message saying that gtk.h is needed.  It's on my system:

/opt/gnome/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtk.h

Why is it that it keeps erroring out on me then?  Do I need to compile or
load it or ????

Second, I've been looking at Debian as another distro to install on a system.
 However, the one thing holding me back from it for the most part is the
stable version is still at 2.2.19 kernel it looks like.  Can someone explain
why Debian is so far behind in their stable release compared to all the other
distros?

Thanks,

Shawn